FCDW Partners with World Computer Exchange
WCE is a global education and environmental nonprofit connecting youth in developing countries to the skills, opportunities, and understanding of the Internet. WCE’s mission is to reduce the “digital divide” for youth in developing countries, to use a global network to enhance the communities within these countries, and to promote the reuse of electronic equipment and its ultimate disposal in an environmentally responsible manner.
To date, WCE has established over 2,650 computer labs around the globe, in collaboration with over 700 formal Partners and 25 Strategic Allies. The computers donated to these computer labs are reformatted with a wide range of educational content and curriculum, including topics such as culture, agriculture, health, leadership, computer recycling, technology, potable water, and solar energy – all available in English, French, Spanish and Arabic, and downloaded directly to the computers prior to shipping.
FCDW recently received its first donation for WCE: 20 computers, all in working order, along with mice, keyboards, and other accessories (see right for photo). The FCDW staff would like to thank the HindmanSanchez law firm of Arvada, Colorado, for this generous donation.
FCDW is now accepting PC hardware and accessory donations at our 412 S. Howes St. location. (Macintosh donations are not accepted at this location.) Acceptable items for donation include:
- Pentium 4 and above desktop computers
- Pentium 3 and above laptops with their power adaptors and bags when possible
- Digital projectors for school computer labs
- Webcams for school computer labs and digital cameras
- LCD flat screen monitors
- CRT large screen monitors (working 15-19″, less than 9 years old, 110/220 volt autoswitch) ($10 donation for each if without computer)
- Extra RAM (256 Megs and above)
- Hard drives (20 gig minimum)
- Keyboards, mice, cables and power cords
- Network gear: working network switches, routers, and hubs, EtherNet cards and cable
- Scanners with cables and software
- Printers: working dot matrix, laser, and inkjet printers with their cartridges, software & cables taped to them
- 3-in-1 printers
- Recent internal and external modems
- Recent internal and external CD ROM and DVD drives
FCDW is currently looking for volunteers with intermediate to advanced computer experience to help reformat computers and organize/receive incoming donations. If you or someone you know is interested in volunteering, please contact Charlotte Boney, Volunteer Coordinator, at charlotte (at) fcdigitalworkshop.com.